Sunday, February 9, 2014

Extra Disney Magic: Disney Trip Countdown Blocks Calendar!


So I started thinking about a way to have a countdown to my trip (last time I used stickers on an actual calendar each day), and I remembered a foam block countdown calendar that I made for Christmas in middle school. After a short trip to AC Moore, I found a couple of things that helped me to make my own Disney trip countdown! I'll teach you how I made it here!


Here's what I used:
- 1" Wooden Blocks (4)
- 4" Flat Wooden Discs (2)
- Wooden Shadow Box, big enough for 3" across the inside (1)
- Sticker Paper (optional)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Paint


Step 1: Paint!

So, the first thing I did was decide exactly how I wanted the color scheme to look. A lot of Disney countdown calendars I saw online went with a Mickey color scheme (red, black, white, and yellow)- so I decided to use just about the same. I ended up picking red for the frame with black in the inside, black countdown blocks, black ears (circles), and white numbers.
You may need to use more than one layer (as I did), depending on what type of paint you used. Going over the wood with a base layer of spray paint beforehand can also help to make sure the paint isn't too thin.

Step 2: Ears!

Because I was going with a Mickey theme, I decided to put Mickey ears on the box frame. Using a marker, make sure to mark the places for the ears on the back of the frame beforehand, so you don't end up making them uneven when you glue them!
After that, take a hot glue gun or some craft glue, and firmly attach the painted "ears" to the back of the frame. Almost there!


Step 3: Numbering the Blocks

Next, you're going to want to add numbers to your blocks. I personally wanted my countdown to go up pretty high (a little over 400), so I used 4 blocks.
You can choose from 2 different ways to do the next part. The next step I took was to cut out Disney-font numbers from sticker paper (you can use label paper for something like this). However, if you're not that good with an exacto knife OR you just don't want to take so much time cutting them out, you can paint the numbers on!


Make sure, though, you follow this guide for what numbers should be on each block:

Block A: 1 2 3 4 5 9
Block B: 1 2 3 4 5 9
Block C: 7 8 0 1 2 3
Block D: 7 8 0 1 2 3

It doesn't matter what order you have the numbers in, just that you have certain numbers on each one. In this case, 9 can also double as a 6 (flipped upside-down).


Step 4: Finishing Touches!

So if you're like me, you like to go all out for your crafts- especially if it's for Disney! I bought a couple of extra things at AC Moore to help decorate!


Most of these (except for the gems) wouldn't really fit on the countdown, but it's always fun to prepare stuff for a scrapbook to make after you get back!


You can add glitter, gems, sequins, or anything else you like to your countdown blocks calendar! The shadowbox I bought actually came with something to hang it up on a wall!

Have fun crafting- and if anyone has their own countdown calendar feel free to send a link in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment